Saturday 24 February 2007

My left foot: update

The plaster cast is off my foot and my peacock post was every bit as justified as I thought it might be. More of that shortly, but first a musing on my insistence on being right.

Getting around with the plaster cast on my foot was pretty impossible; the process of moving anywhere on one leg using crutches is surprisingly exhausting. When we arrived at hospital V. remembered that an x-ray was necessary before my appointment; she also remembered that we were told to go there first. I remembered differently and because I'm Right, insisted that we book in at Out Patients reception first. We walked the 100 metres along the corridor to Out Patients, passing X-Ray Reception on the way.

I explained to the Out Patient receptionist that I had to have an
x-ray before my appointment. She did very well not to say "What are you doing here then?" but couldn't resist one of those sisterly looks with V. that said "Men!" as V. failed to resist the temptation to say "Told you". In total my insistence on being right added an additional 200 unnecessary metres to my walk - I felt every step.

I found the x-rays fascinating, you could clearly see the gap where my heel has been removed and reattached; reassuringly the gap is filling with new bone, though there is a way to go yet. Even more clearly you could see the 6
cm screw up the centre of my foot that is currently holding my heel in place - it looks like any old screw from the tin in my garage! But of course there are non in my tin made of titanium.

The plaster was cut from my foot using one of my favourite hospital tools: the oscillating saw. The blade looks nasty, but, rather than revolving, actually oscillates back and forth, thus it never cuts the flesh. The foot exposed beneath was not mine, but rather the foot of an alien: lizard-like, puffy and showering powdery skin scales. Despite my distaste at
its appearance, my surgeon was pleased with it and announced that I could start putting some weight on it.

Having not stepped on my foot for eight weeks, and never having stood on it with the heel in the place it ought to be, I am finding myself re
acquainted with an aspect of the surgical process that I had forgotten: pain.

I now have to wear an Aircas
t for four weeks whenever I am out of bed. This does the same job as a plaster cast but you can remove it; and importantly, you can take it off while submerging the limb in hot soapy water: bliss!

I've noticed on some of the better blogs that it's de rigeur to share favourite products, here are my new faves:





This is my brand new Aircast, the photograph doesn't really do it justice; it is huge: like Frankenstein's boot!








This is one of my crutches, still in use until I am more confident at walking with Frankenstein's boot; and walking with less of a wince.






Boots BPC Aqueous Cream: contains no natural ingredients, (unless you count water), no essential oils, no SPF thingies, no pro-retinol wrinkle removers: but it feels absolutely fabulous smoothed into the reddened scales of my foot; and it's really cheap - £2.25 for this huge tub.

1 comment:

Rick Rockhill said...

love the detail on your posting about the foot...nice pics. It sucks to be in cast. heal well

stop by and say hi sometime:
www.rickrockhill.blogspot.com