Friday 29 February 2008

The Crofty Family Dinner Suit Weekend


We only have one dinner suit in our family and it is owned and worn predominantly by my father. He is a denizen of Rotary dinners and a choir singer. I am not accustomed to bow tie dining so when it comes to it - like tonight- I have to borrow the suit.

We are off to a swanky awards ceremony at the Midland Hotel in Manchester, not because I am up for one, but because I nominated someone who is a finalist. All well and good - I have a new shirt and new shoes and the suit fresh back from the dry cleaners. All well and good but for one thing: the suit is also required to be in tip top condition for Sunday when it is performing Handel's Messiah in Ashton - U - Lyne.

Anyone who knows me will be considering the likelihood of my not spilling soup on the suit and concluding that it might be as well to check out the availability of 1hr-Dry Cleaners in Greater Manchester tomorrow or opt for a completely fluid-free meal

I'll let you know. In the meantime, if you are around Ashton Under Lyne on Sunday evening allow me to recommend the Oldham Choral Society performance of Handel's Messiah in the fabulous surroundings of what amounts to a United Reformed Cathedral: the Albion Church. The venue is a tribute to the times when rich Victorians were short of something to do with their money.

Come along and see the suit in all it's splendour - it will be the one that looks the cleanest!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'd love to have, but i'm travelling on Sunday...but the story made me smile.

I've still got my dress suit 50's styling. I bought it when I was on the Shirley Bassey show in the 70's

worn well...and the suit.

henry